Thinking about what to eat for breakfast when sick? Here is an idea for ya: vegan & gluten-free oatmeal packed with antioxidants to get you better quick.
Everyone has been getting sick these days! In light of this sad fact, I decided to come up with a recipe to aid in the healing process.
I spent a fair bit of time researching what to eat for breakfast when sick and came up with a pretty extensive list. I combined the best ingredients with what I thought would go great with oatmeal. Luck for me (and you!) I had no shortage of items to choose from – ginger, turmeric, honey, cinnamon, the list goes on an on!
Turmeric and ginger are especially amazing. According to Home Remedies, “Turmeric’s anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal agents can help our body fight against colds, cough and flu….Turmeric’s key ingredient Curcumin is known for its anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. ”
As an aside, with my history of IBD, I take curcumin supplements to control my inflammation.
The result? Delicious! So delicious that we eat the brekkie just cuz! Getting the flu just got a bit more pleasant folks 😉
Ingredients for What To Eat For Breakfast When Sick
- 1/2 cup oatmeal (try to use steel cut oats if you can)
- 1/2 cup almond milk (or any milk of your choice)
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp honey (or to taste)
- pumpkin seeds
Directions for What To Eat For Breakfast When Sick
- Place milk and oatmeal in a pot on the stove and bring to a boil
- Lower heat, add remaining ingredients and simmer for 5-10 minutes
- Top with pumpkin seeds and whatever else you fancy ( I added flax and more grated ginger)
If you have any other ideas for a good breakfast when you have the flu, share in the comments below 🙂