This is how this vegan chicken strips recipe came about: It was a lazy Sunday morning. We hadn’t had breakfast yet and my brah (i.e. my partner) asked if we wanted to go to Hogtown Vegan in for some waffles and eggs (oh the pearls of living in Toronto! We can literally go to a restaurant 5 mins away and get “chicken” and waffles, I love this city!). Then I had a brilliant idea! I thought, “We have a waffle maker. We have tofu. We have (gluten-free) breadcrumbs. Omigod, I can make my own chicken and waffles!”
Needless to say, the vegan chicken strips recipe was born. 🙂
- 1 block extra firm tofu (I use organic sprouted tofu)
- 1 cup bread crumbs (use gluten-free, if you are gluten-free)
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2-1 tsp salt (to taste)
- 1/4 olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Drain tofu (I usually do this by placing it between 2 plates, putting something heavy on top, and letting it sit for about 10-20 minutes and then draining the excess water).
- Mix the breadcrumbs with all the spices into a bowl and set aside.
- Pour the olive oil into a separate bowl and set aside.
- Oil a baking sheet and set aside.
- Cut the tofu into strips.
- Taking one tofu strip at a time, gently dip the strip into the bowl of oil. Make sure it's completely covered in oil.
- Once the tofu strip is nicely oiled, dip it into the breadcrumb mixture, ensuring that it is completely coated in the breadcrumbs (the breadier the better! :))
- Place the bread covered strip onto the baking sheet.
- Do that for all the tofu strips.
- Bake at 400 for about 20-30 minutes, flipping over the tofu once in between.