My friend Haroon is getting married (yay Haroon & Zehra or should I say Zaroon?!) and we’ve been having dance practise this week. Most of the snacks provided have not been very happygut friendly (no offense friends!) and so I decided to add some healthy goodies to the mix.
Are you ready for this one? Raw vegan gluten-free brownies. Need I say more? It was super, my friends! And the secret ingredient? Avocadoooo, heeeyyyy!
2 cups hazelnuts (or you could probably use walnuts, hazelnuts are expensive!)
1 cup pitted dates
3/4 cup cocoa powder, divided
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons maple syrup, divided
1 medium avocado
Crushed hazelnuts (or walnuts) for garnish
1.Pulse the hazelnuts (or walnuts) in a food processor until finely ground into a flour
2. Add in the dates, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, and 1/4 cup maple syrup and process until it forms into a thick dough that sticks together.
3. Lay the dough out between two sheets of parchment paper and roll to about 3/4-inch thickness.
4. With a sharp knife, cut the dough into either 8 or 10 equal sized rectangles. If there’s excess dough you can form it into a ball, roll it out, and cut again.
5. Make the frosting by blending together the remaining maple syrup, cocoa powder, and the meat from the avocado until it’s uniform in color and texture. Taste it and adjust the sweetness if need be.
6. Spread about 2 tablespoons of frosting over half of the cakes. Layer with another slice and spread an equal amount of frosting on top of that piece.
7. Garnish with crushed hazelnuts (or walnuts).
Courtesy of The Wannabe Chef